sugarvalves [1963573] —
Original article
On the 30th of March 2017, the Torn City News broadcast for the very first time, with a short two-minute-forty bulletin anchored and produced by Kata raking in over 700 views since it aired on Youtube. The report's content was a blend of official announcements and gossip, and in the weeks since its debut, there have been four further TCN bulletins of a more substantial length, as well as a special competition episode entitled "What's in my box?"
This isn't the first time a Torn City News channel has been established, but it is certainly the most accomplished effort to date - and by far the least bizarre, as you'll see by comparing TCN to our citizens' previous efforts.

(Pictured: A still from Torn City News by cruzae123, which I found both compelling and confusing in equal measure.)
But who is behind this latest venture into the world of Torn City broadcasting, how do they get their news, and what are their intentions for the channel?
"It was kind of weird, actually."
"I was going to take a break from playing Torn, I had planned on a few weeks, and then a friend sent me a link to the Internet Comment Etiquette show on YouTube I thought it was funny and thought to myself - that's something I'd like to do, but I didn't really want to do real news, so I figured I would report on what was happening in Torn City."
"I'm in global all of the time anyway, so I figured I'd be able to find stories pretty easily. I honestly wasn't sure if people were going to love it or hate it. But I sent it to some of my friends and they seemed to really like it, so I took the chance and my friend Moxxy posted it in global. People kind of went crazy for that first episode, so that was pretty unexpected and amusing."
Those were the words of Kata, the furniture store sales clerk and Vulpes Vulpes member who is the driving force behind TCN. In the presenter's chair, Kata comes across as friendly, informed and trustworthy, with her pleasant tone making her easy to listen to. But are we in danger of being drawn in by her kindly exterior? Does Kata have a sinister motive for the creation of Torn City News?
"Dont tell them, but I plan to use my newfound power to overtake both Champions and Mat-Senpais karma. Its a secret though, so keep that one to yourself. Theyll never see it coming."
"kidding (well, half kidding)"
"I dont really have a dastardly scheme planned - I really just want to entertain. Ive had a few friends say that since Ive started my crazy antics theyve wanted to log in more, just to see what Ill do next. I want to be a contributing factor to maintaining interest in Torn - from my joke personal ads, to the jokes/puns I used to anon send to globalites, to TCN[1] and its associated competitions - I just want to see people have fun and enjoy themselves playing the game."
An admirable aim indeed, but might Kata fall foul of Global's notoriously volatile inhabitants by sharing their gossip and commenting upon it? An opinion can be a dangerous thing when it comes to Global, so is Kata worried about the prospect of attracting unwanted attention now that she's made herself known?
"Not really. I fully expect that Ill do stories on people that will piss them off at some point, but I think for the most part I have a pretty solid friend base - in and out of global. Also, most people are excited to have their information talked about on the news, rather than annoyed that its on there."
"I've been pretty successful at making myself a target before the news show. Besides running LipStix Bounty Service with my friends Celina and Moxxy, I also have a tendency to run my mouth in chats which gets me into trouble quite a bit."
"I actually get my information from a lot of different sources - I have friends that pm me with info, submissions to my form - http://bit.ly/2ofIoVx%C2%A0, global, the newsletter and the forums - pretty much anywhere that has anything about Torn."

(Pictured: Global)
Kata's use of citizen submissions means that the Torn City News may one day come to truly represent the authentic voice of the people - as opposed to the Torn City Times, which is merely a corporate shill organisation used to promote the interests of the Torn elite, according to some.
But such a method of gathering information has some drawbacks, with the biggest being that Torn's assortment of deluded maniacs may choose to swamp Kata's inbox with filth, depravity and nonsensical ramblings. Yet far from fearing such an eventuality, Kata seems to welcome it.
"I did do a special segment recently called What's in my Box? where I asked Torn players to send me mails and then I wouldn't read them until I was recording. I did get a few strange ones in that bunch, but overall I was a little disappointed that they weren't crazier I was expecting some really crazy shit - maybe when I do it again people will be a little more comfortable. Although I did say that they needed to be Torn Appropriate, so maybe that's why?"
"I enjoy the attention that comes along with people knowing who I am - the good and the bad for the most part. I love a good mouth off in global, I've actually asked a friend of mine to call me and wake me up if there was something going on before. And he did. He called and woke me up at 2:30 am to jump into global because there was shit going down. And, of course, I woke my ass up and jumped right in there. Ended up witnessing an enemy of mine getting chat banned, so that was totally worth it."
"So, I'd say I want to be known."
Another potential problem with citizen-driven journalism is the possibility of bias, with the inclusion of paid-for advertisements also bringing into question the TCN's impartiality. I wondered if Kata had considered this, and whether it would impact the way she moved forward with the show. But of course she had, and her answer was straight to the point.
"It could compromise my neutrality if I ever claimed to be neutral in the first place. Let's be honest here - TCN[1] is basically like the Fox News or Entertainment Tonight of Torn City. You have the newspaper that reports actual news, and then you have my show, that reports the drama."
"The one time I really actually tried reporting news, Episode two, didn't work out nearly as well as the other episodes where I just went on mainly about who was doing what and what this week's rumors were. But I'm always looking for ways to make money in this game and it (advertising) seemed like the natural next step. Especially since making the show does take up a lot of time that I could be doing other things to earn money - like flying or selling bounty slots."
Salacious rumours are the bedrock of Global, and it seems that Kata has hit upon a rich and entertaining source of material by tapping into it. In one episode she accused a citizen of being WickedPrincess' restart, and in another, she claimed that a salad-obsessed Champion had been purchasing friends with TCD. Whether this information is true is neither here nor there; it gets people talking, and via TCN the people of Torn City can now hear their most controversial thoughts made manifest.
"I would say that my independence from Torn gives me a chance to say things the paper can't. I can give opinions without really worrying about neutrality - and I think that's why people watch my show. Because I don't have the same restrictions as the Newspaper. I'm trying to keep the show within Torn guidelines, generally PG-13 and without breaking the rules. I respect that the rules are there for reasons and I'd prefer not to get fedded."
"I do try to verify the rumors I report, although some arent really able to be verified - but thats why I ask for supporting evidence in the form that Torn citizens can fill out to submit news ideas. I will admit that there have been a few things Ive said that Im pretty sure arent true, just because I knew it would encourage drama. Like the whole Princessa being WP thing - which Im pretty sure isnt true, but I talked about it quite a bit on the show - just because I knew a lot of people out there really did think they were the same person."
Clearly, Kata is willing to push the envelope regarding what can and can't be said, and having been verbally warned in the past for bombarding another citizen with marriage proposals, she may be seen as something of a loose cannon. But Kata seems to have considered the risks involved, so you can be sure that any mischief she does create will be 100% intentional. TCN gives Kata the chance to air her views on her own terms, as well as making a little money in the process. And having made it clear that she's looking for people to work with her, Torn citizens would do well to get in on the ground floor of this exciting new project.
Kata has thus far been supported by contributions from Madame-Moxxy and Mat-Senpai, with the pair's involvement hopefully set to increase as the TCN expands its operations. Having the support of Torn City's third-placed karma harlot is certainly a boon for the show, and it seems Mat-Senpai himself is well aware of the impact his influence can have if the following statement he prepared on Kata's behalf is anything to go by.
"Well mat, he's just an amazing guy what can I say. When I thought about doing this it was mat himself who got me to go to the forums and make it as public as it was. If I'm honest the guy is one of the most amazing people I've met on torn, always there to help and is invaluable. Hopefully he'll do some amazing things."
Hopefully, the TCN team will all do amazing things, because with a little initiative and a heap of creativity they've done some fine work already. But I wonder; with Torn having begun in 2003 and Youtube following suit two years later, why hasn't anyone else ever bothered to produce something similar on a consistent basis?
"I dont know why its taken so long for someone to come up with this idea. Most likely its because people dont necessarily want to put themselves out there like that. I know a lot of the people that I talk to in Torn are hesitant to share still pictures let alone actual video of themselves. Its sometimes even difficult to get people to hop on discord and speak in voice."
"For example, one of my closest friends on Torn flat out refuses to send a picture of himself and another rarely sends out pictures that arent heavily filtered. It does take a bit of a thick skin to expose yourself in the way that doing this type of show requires. Ive already had multiple people make fun of my physical appearance, although most of the people that have commented on the show have been highly complementary - so that makes it relatively easy to brush off the rude comments that some people feel the need to share."
Let us hope that the trolls Kata has encountered do not dissuade her or others from helping the TCN expand and build upon its successful beginnings. Kata has indicated that she would love to add new reporters to the show, with the only barrier to this being the willingness of the public to expose themselves.
"The only issue is the shortage of people willing to A) get in front of the camera or B) figure out how to record themselves. But putting the show together can be a lot of work, I would be extremely grateful to have additional help. I have most definitely appreciated the folks that have sent me news so far, and those that have offered to help when I've had questions on a story I was already working on."
Commenting on Torn City life is a thankless task at times, as there's always somebody who disagrees with the stance you've taken, the value of the topic you've covered or even your very existence on this planet. Differing opinions should always be welcomed, of course, but the way of the world means that opposing viewpoints are not always delivered with tact, respect, insight or even a basic understanding of the English language.
Kata has had a taste of this already, and it is this reporter's hope that she and her team will prevail over the trolls and continue to grow Torn City News into a successful and long-running series. Her show brings fun, drama and excitement into Torn, and anyone who achieves that deserves support.
Because Kata has big plans for the future of TCN, with advice sections and interviews both planned for the future. Chedburn, MarlonBrando, Champion, Collete and even her nemesis PimptressTrish are all on her interview wishlist, so if this is something the people of Torn wish to see, they should do their best to support TCN in whatever way they can.
Because this will allow Kata to inform them, entertain them, and fulfil her destiny of becoming Torn City's resident s**t stirrer.
Our Resident S**t Stirrer - LOL - Isnt that already Champions official title? It seems like theres always something going on each week to talk about. But Id be lying if I said that I would never make a decision to do or say something to create a little drama just to make things a bit more interesting."
"There are definitely things I wont broadcast. Anything that could hurt a player in real life, anything against the law, anything that I think could seriously damage a player emotionally there are definitely lines that dont need to be crossed. I am trying (for the most part) to stay within Torns rules when making the show."
"I do like a good bit of drama though :D"

(Pictured: Context)
Torn City News Episode 5 can be seen here.
Torn City News Episode 6 airs this Thursday, or Friday.
This isn't the first time a Torn City News channel has been established, but it is certainly the most accomplished effort to date - and by far the least bizarre, as you'll see by comparing TCN to our citizens' previous efforts.

(Pictured: A still from Torn City News by cruzae123, which I found both compelling and confusing in equal measure.)
But who is behind this latest venture into the world of Torn City broadcasting, how do they get their news, and what are their intentions for the channel?
"It was kind of weird, actually."
"I was going to take a break from playing Torn, I had planned on a few weeks, and then a friend sent me a link to the Internet Comment Etiquette show on YouTube I thought it was funny and thought to myself - that's something I'd like to do, but I didn't really want to do real news, so I figured I would report on what was happening in Torn City."
"I'm in global all of the time anyway, so I figured I'd be able to find stories pretty easily. I honestly wasn't sure if people were going to love it or hate it. But I sent it to some of my friends and they seemed to really like it, so I took the chance and my friend Moxxy posted it in global. People kind of went crazy for that first episode, so that was pretty unexpected and amusing."
Those were the words of Kata, the furniture store sales clerk and Vulpes Vulpes member who is the driving force behind TCN. In the presenter's chair, Kata comes across as friendly, informed and trustworthy, with her pleasant tone making her easy to listen to. But are we in danger of being drawn in by her kindly exterior? Does Kata have a sinister motive for the creation of Torn City News?
"Dont tell them, but I plan to use my newfound power to overtake both Champions and Mat-Senpais karma. Its a secret though, so keep that one to yourself. Theyll never see it coming."
"kidding (well, half kidding)"
"I dont really have a dastardly scheme planned - I really just want to entertain. Ive had a few friends say that since Ive started my crazy antics theyve wanted to log in more, just to see what Ill do next. I want to be a contributing factor to maintaining interest in Torn - from my joke personal ads, to the jokes/puns I used to anon send to globalites, to TCN[1] and its associated competitions - I just want to see people have fun and enjoy themselves playing the game."
An admirable aim indeed, but might Kata fall foul of Global's notoriously volatile inhabitants by sharing their gossip and commenting upon it? An opinion can be a dangerous thing when it comes to Global, so is Kata worried about the prospect of attracting unwanted attention now that she's made herself known?
"Not really. I fully expect that Ill do stories on people that will piss them off at some point, but I think for the most part I have a pretty solid friend base - in and out of global. Also, most people are excited to have their information talked about on the news, rather than annoyed that its on there."
"I've been pretty successful at making myself a target before the news show. Besides running LipStix Bounty Service with my friends Celina and Moxxy, I also have a tendency to run my mouth in chats which gets me into trouble quite a bit."
"I actually get my information from a lot of different sources - I have friends that pm me with info, submissions to my form - http://bit.ly/2ofIoVx%C2%A0, global, the newsletter and the forums - pretty much anywhere that has anything about Torn."

(Pictured: Global)
Kata's use of citizen submissions means that the Torn City News may one day come to truly represent the authentic voice of the people - as opposed to the Torn City Times, which is merely a corporate shill organisation used to promote the interests of the Torn elite, according to some.
But such a method of gathering information has some drawbacks, with the biggest being that Torn's assortment of deluded maniacs may choose to swamp Kata's inbox with filth, depravity and nonsensical ramblings. Yet far from fearing such an eventuality, Kata seems to welcome it.
"I did do a special segment recently called What's in my Box? where I asked Torn players to send me mails and then I wouldn't read them until I was recording. I did get a few strange ones in that bunch, but overall I was a little disappointed that they weren't crazier I was expecting some really crazy shit - maybe when I do it again people will be a little more comfortable. Although I did say that they needed to be Torn Appropriate, so maybe that's why?"
"I enjoy the attention that comes along with people knowing who I am - the good and the bad for the most part. I love a good mouth off in global, I've actually asked a friend of mine to call me and wake me up if there was something going on before. And he did. He called and woke me up at 2:30 am to jump into global because there was shit going down. And, of course, I woke my ass up and jumped right in there. Ended up witnessing an enemy of mine getting chat banned, so that was totally worth it."
"So, I'd say I want to be known."
Another potential problem with citizen-driven journalism is the possibility of bias, with the inclusion of paid-for advertisements also bringing into question the TCN's impartiality. I wondered if Kata had considered this, and whether it would impact the way she moved forward with the show. But of course she had, and her answer was straight to the point.
"It could compromise my neutrality if I ever claimed to be neutral in the first place. Let's be honest here - TCN[1] is basically like the Fox News or Entertainment Tonight of Torn City. You have the newspaper that reports actual news, and then you have my show, that reports the drama."
"The one time I really actually tried reporting news, Episode two, didn't work out nearly as well as the other episodes where I just went on mainly about who was doing what and what this week's rumors were. But I'm always looking for ways to make money in this game and it (advertising) seemed like the natural next step. Especially since making the show does take up a lot of time that I could be doing other things to earn money - like flying or selling bounty slots."
Salacious rumours are the bedrock of Global, and it seems that Kata has hit upon a rich and entertaining source of material by tapping into it. In one episode she accused a citizen of being WickedPrincess' restart, and in another, she claimed that a salad-obsessed Champion had been purchasing friends with TCD. Whether this information is true is neither here nor there; it gets people talking, and via TCN the people of Torn City can now hear their most controversial thoughts made manifest.
"I would say that my independence from Torn gives me a chance to say things the paper can't. I can give opinions without really worrying about neutrality - and I think that's why people watch my show. Because I don't have the same restrictions as the Newspaper. I'm trying to keep the show within Torn guidelines, generally PG-13 and without breaking the rules. I respect that the rules are there for reasons and I'd prefer not to get fedded."
"I do try to verify the rumors I report, although some arent really able to be verified - but thats why I ask for supporting evidence in the form that Torn citizens can fill out to submit news ideas. I will admit that there have been a few things Ive said that Im pretty sure arent true, just because I knew it would encourage drama. Like the whole Princessa being WP thing - which Im pretty sure isnt true, but I talked about it quite a bit on the show - just because I knew a lot of people out there really did think they were the same person."
Clearly, Kata is willing to push the envelope regarding what can and can't be said, and having been verbally warned in the past for bombarding another citizen with marriage proposals, she may be seen as something of a loose cannon. But Kata seems to have considered the risks involved, so you can be sure that any mischief she does create will be 100% intentional. TCN gives Kata the chance to air her views on her own terms, as well as making a little money in the process. And having made it clear that she's looking for people to work with her, Torn citizens would do well to get in on the ground floor of this exciting new project.
Kata has thus far been supported by contributions from Madame-Moxxy and Mat-Senpai, with the pair's involvement hopefully set to increase as the TCN expands its operations. Having the support of Torn City's third-placed karma harlot is certainly a boon for the show, and it seems Mat-Senpai himself is well aware of the impact his influence can have if the following statement he prepared on Kata's behalf is anything to go by.
"Well mat, he's just an amazing guy what can I say. When I thought about doing this it was mat himself who got me to go to the forums and make it as public as it was. If I'm honest the guy is one of the most amazing people I've met on torn, always there to help and is invaluable. Hopefully he'll do some amazing things."
Hopefully, the TCN team will all do amazing things, because with a little initiative and a heap of creativity they've done some fine work already. But I wonder; with Torn having begun in 2003 and Youtube following suit two years later, why hasn't anyone else ever bothered to produce something similar on a consistent basis?
"I dont know why its taken so long for someone to come up with this idea. Most likely its because people dont necessarily want to put themselves out there like that. I know a lot of the people that I talk to in Torn are hesitant to share still pictures let alone actual video of themselves. Its sometimes even difficult to get people to hop on discord and speak in voice."
"For example, one of my closest friends on Torn flat out refuses to send a picture of himself and another rarely sends out pictures that arent heavily filtered. It does take a bit of a thick skin to expose yourself in the way that doing this type of show requires. Ive already had multiple people make fun of my physical appearance, although most of the people that have commented on the show have been highly complementary - so that makes it relatively easy to brush off the rude comments that some people feel the need to share."
Let us hope that the trolls Kata has encountered do not dissuade her or others from helping the TCN expand and build upon its successful beginnings. Kata has indicated that she would love to add new reporters to the show, with the only barrier to this being the willingness of the public to expose themselves.
"The only issue is the shortage of people willing to A) get in front of the camera or B) figure out how to record themselves. But putting the show together can be a lot of work, I would be extremely grateful to have additional help. I have most definitely appreciated the folks that have sent me news so far, and those that have offered to help when I've had questions on a story I was already working on."
Commenting on Torn City life is a thankless task at times, as there's always somebody who disagrees with the stance you've taken, the value of the topic you've covered or even your very existence on this planet. Differing opinions should always be welcomed, of course, but the way of the world means that opposing viewpoints are not always delivered with tact, respect, insight or even a basic understanding of the English language.
Kata has had a taste of this already, and it is this reporter's hope that she and her team will prevail over the trolls and continue to grow Torn City News into a successful and long-running series. Her show brings fun, drama and excitement into Torn, and anyone who achieves that deserves support.
Because Kata has big plans for the future of TCN, with advice sections and interviews both planned for the future. Chedburn, MarlonBrando, Champion, Collete and even her nemesis PimptressTrish are all on her interview wishlist, so if this is something the people of Torn wish to see, they should do their best to support TCN in whatever way they can.
Because this will allow Kata to inform them, entertain them, and fulfil her destiny of becoming Torn City's resident s**t stirrer.
Our Resident S**t Stirrer - LOL - Isnt that already Champions official title? It seems like theres always something going on each week to talk about. But Id be lying if I said that I would never make a decision to do or say something to create a little drama just to make things a bit more interesting."
"There are definitely things I wont broadcast. Anything that could hurt a player in real life, anything against the law, anything that I think could seriously damage a player emotionally there are definitely lines that dont need to be crossed. I am trying (for the most part) to stay within Torns rules when making the show."
"I do like a good bit of drama though :D"

(Pictured: Context)
Torn City News Episode 5 can be seen here.
Torn City News Episode 6 airs this Thursday, or Friday.
Original article
Comments
Post a Comment